You may have or may not of heard of the chicken parmesan, It’s a rich creamy and cheesy topped chicken breast coated in golden breadcrumbs that melts in the mouth of anyone who tries it. The chicken parmesan originated in Teesside in the Northeast, UK. Its fame spreads across the planet and is a must try delicacy by anyone who visits the area. This is one of our favourite dishes when we fancy a treat.
Why wait for a visit to Teesside to try the chicken parmesan?!
2 Chicken Breasts
170g Plain Flour
Half Tbsp Chilli Flakes
100g Grated Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Beaten Egg
200g Bechamel Sauce ( Learn how to make your own bechamel sauce)
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Make your bechamel sauce ready for later. (see here for our easy bechamel sauce recipe.)
- Combine breadcrumbs, chilli flakes and salt and pepper into a bowl
- Place plain flour into a bowl and beat an egg into a 3rd bowl.
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper tenderise / flatten the chicken breasts to around half an inch with a tenderiser, rolling pin or something flat and heavy.
- Place the flattened chicken into the flower and coat evenly. Then transfer to the beaten egg, after the egg wash, evenly coat the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture and place into a lightly greased baking tray.
- Place chicken in the oven for 25 minutes, remove from oven and spread your bechamel sauce on top of each chicken breast and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place back in the oven for a further 10 mins, check that the chicken is fully cooked throughout.
Side dishes for the chicken parmesan
My favorite side dishes to serve with the chicken parmesan are chips, salad and garlic sauce. You can add other toppings to the parmo before you add the cheese such as pepperoni and jalapenos to give it an extra kick. We hope you enjoy our take on the Teesside chicken parmesan, if you have anything to add to make the parmo even nicer leave a comment below, enjoy!