Most probably one of our favourite Chinese takeaway meals , the tasty salt and pepper chicken surrounded with onions and peppers. I mean, what’s not to love about a great salt and chilli chicken recipe? I had never even heard about it until around 2 years ago.
Suddenly it was the most talked about Chinese food! It was on every menu and in every Chinese restaurant, i couldn’t eat Chinese takeaway without ordering that spicy salt and pepper chicken!
Chinese food can be expensive though and for those who want to cook some fake-away salt and pepper chicken that tastes like it was cooked in the take away then you should try this salt and chilli recipe. I’m sure it will be a hit with the whole family at a fraction of the price.
Costs : £3.50
2 Large Chicken Breasts
¼ Cup of Flour
¼ Chinese 5 spice
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup of frying oil
1 Garlic clove / 1 tsp easy garlic
1 Egg white
½ chilli flakes
1 Onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
- Chop chicken into evenly sized pieces (about 1cm Strips).
- Combine spices and flour in a bowl.
- Combine egg white and chicken in a bowl.
- Combine the spice and flour mixture and chicken and coat evenly.
- Add oil to frying pan, and preheat the oil to medium heat.
- Place the chicken to the pan and fry for around 6 minutes frying it until golden brown.
- Add onion and peppers to the pan and cook for 1 min, then add garlic and a little more salt and pepper if you like it a strong taste. cook until chicken is cooked through.
- After chicken is cooked through remove all from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with rice or chips. If your feeling really rich do both!
Salt and pepper chicken is pretty simple to make. We cook it regularly in the air fryer, just to use less oil, but this is a fakeaway salt and pepper chicken recipe you may as well go the whole hog and fry it the takeaway way! I hope you enjoy my take on this Chinese classic, and as ever live more and spend less.